Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Ago Today

“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children."
- President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001






 As each and everyone of us do, I have vivid memories of Tuesday, September 11, 2001. I was in 2nd period math, my classroom being located right near the Principal's office. In the hallway everyone piled in, and when I say you could hear a pin drop, I'm not even kidding that's how silent the hallway was for the first time, ever. Students stood frozen, parents started rushing towards the office to claim their children. No one in my immediate family worked down there but family friends did and I remember thinking are they OK? When will we know? Millions of questions were asked that day, but it wasn't till the days that followed that we heard answers, stories of courage and bravery from the NYPD, FDNY, Port Authority, & all other 1st Responders.

Today as we mark the 10th anniversary we remember those who are no longer with us & honor those who risked their lives to save others. We "Never Forget".And though we all have our own opinions on the government, our national leaders, and the state of economy, that does not mean we should not thank the courageous men and women who protect our country everyday. The servicemen and women who sacrifice so much. Stop and say thank you. They are the everyday heroes that deserve unending gratitude.
 
I attended Friday night services this past weekend with my Father, Aunt, & Family Friends and my rabbi's sermon was one that left me thinking. Young children today believe it's "normal" to take your shoes off in the airport. Now I was young when 9/11 happened but I do know that before that we didn't take off our shoes, go through full body scans, not be able to carry liquids, etc...I thought back to what traveling was like prior to 9/11. We were never scared at a "credible threat". My mother would take us into the city and we would ride the subway without fear. Now you hear people who won't ride the subways, refuse to fly, and I wonder what will be next, do we even have to worry something will happen?


Thank you to our servicemen & women!

No comments:

Post a Comment