Sunday, September 25, 2011

Giving back is just that simple; I know

Growing up my mother instilled the importance of giving back to those less fortunate. Sure I donated money to organizations that I believed in, volunteered hours for certain community service projects, and participated in many walks for cancer. This was something that I did with my family and extremely proud of them for giving back.

Through college I still donated to charities, attend special events/fundraisers, even planned a few with the assistance of classmates and on-campus organizations. However; I never felt satisfied with what I was doing, and I continually questioned "why aren't I doing more?" For a long time I believed I needed the money to actually make a difference. Boy was I wrong and my first encounter was a job right out of college, a recruiter for "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer" hosted by The American Cancer Society. I was lucky to know a college graduate from my Alma mater (Johnson & Wales University) who took me under her wing ( Thank you Colleen!) Can't forget the amazing crew I worked with: Kristyn Noren, Mary Sallas & Wendy Glick to name a few. They showed me it as more than money but it was heart, compassion, and focusing on what you can do! Even though we have all moved on I know that where ever I land up I will have amazing friends.

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon Carolynn Cecilia's blog: the Anchor and the Bird where she is writing about a wonderful project she is currently working on; The Days of Deeds Project.  In this project she proves the point that it is extremely easy to give back and make a difference in our own backyard. I hope to follow in her footsteps and try some of the great deeds she has done.

You don't need money to make a difference, so get out there and do something, anything small or big just give back!!

2 comments:

  1. I may have sprung a tear or two. I always get a little choked up when complete strangers give my project a shout out and implement it into their own lives. Thank you so much for spreading the love and getting some good deed doin' done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy! I was going to email you, but i couldn't find an address in your profile. I have 2 extra tickets to The Black Eyed Peas in Central Park for this Friday and was wondering if you wanted them. I dislocated my toe and can no longer go so I'm asking readers who live in NYC if they would like them... 2 tix Free of charge. Email me if you see this today carolynn.cecilia at yahoo. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete