Saturday, October 1, 2011

L'Shana Tova (for a good year)

This past Thursday & Friday I celebrated the Jewish New Year ( Rosh Hashanah) with my family in New Jersey. My grandmother flew up from warm, sunny Florida to be with us for two weeks to celebrate Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur ( Day of Atonement) which takes place next weekend. Two days spent in temple to pray followed by "enough food to feed an army" made by my wonderful Aunt!! We actually made it three meals since we had more than enough food!! 


The menu consisted of: 
~ Brisket
~Matzoh Ball Soup
~ Chicken
~Noodle Kugel
~ Knish
~Challah
~ Vegetables
~and the most amazing dessert Macaroons!!


Usually after the first day of Rosh Hashanah we then partake in the Tashlikh ceremony, however since no one could move after such a feast it was decided we would each do it at our convenience during the week, making sure we do it before Yom Kippur.  
               Prayers are recited near natural flowing water, and one's sins are symbolically cast into the  water. Many also have the custom to throw bread or pebbles into the water, to symbolize the "casting off" of sins.


I plan to throw my sins in the East River this week while out for my run one night..and will post then. 


I have enjoyed my time home, spending time with my family and remembering what is most important in life. 


Wishing all those who celebrate a Happy & Healthy New Year!
~ Tracy





No comments:

Post a Comment